Nobel Prize 2018 Winners List: The Nobel Prize is a set of annual international awards bestowed in several categories by Swedish and Norwegian institutions in recognition of academic, cultural, or scientific advances. The will of the Swedish scientist Alfred Nobel established the five Nobel prizes in 1895. The prizes in Chemistry, Literature, Peace, Physics, and Physiology or Medicine were first awarded in 1901.In 1968, Sweden’s central bank Sveriges Riksbank established the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, which, although not being a Nobel Prize, has become informally known as the “Nobel Prize in Economics.”The Nobel Prize is widely regarded as the most prestigious award available in the fields of literature, medicine, physics, chemistry, economics and activism for peace.
Nobel Prize 2018 Winners List: The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences awards the Nobel Prize in Physics, the Nobel Prize in Chemistry, and the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel; the Nobel Assembly at the Karolinska Institute awards the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine; the Swedish Academy grants the Nobel Prize in Literature; and the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by the Norwegian Nobel Committee.
Nobel Prize 2018 Winners List: Between 1901 and 2017, the Nobel Prizes and the Economic Prizes were awarded 585 times to 923 people and organizations. With some receiving the Nobel Prize more than once, this makes a total of 24 organizations, and 892 individuals. The prize ceremonies take place annually in Stockholm, Sweden (with the exception of the peace prize, which is held in Oslo, Norway). Each recipient, or laureate, receives a gold medal, a diploma, and a sum of money that has been decided by the Nobel Foundation. (As of 2017, each prize is worth 9,000,000 SEK, or about US$1,110,000, €944,000, £836,000 or ₹72,693,900.) Medals made before 1980 were struck in 23 carat gold, and later in 18 carat green gold plated with a 24 carat gold coating.
The prize is not awarded posthumously; however, if a person is awarded a prize and dies before receiving it, the prize may still be presented. Though the average number of laureates per prize increased substantially during the 20th century, a prize may not be shared among more than three people, although the Nobel Peace Prize can be awarded to organizations of more than three people.Nobel Prize 2018 Winners List, Nobel Prize 2018, Nobel Prize List, Nobel Prize Winners List, Nobel Prize Winners List 2018, Nobel Prize 2018 Winners List
Nobel Prize 2018 Winners List
|1.||Physiology or Medicine||James P Allison (USA) and Tasaku Honjo (Japan)||“for their discovery of cancer therapy by inhibition of negative immune regulation”|
|2.||Physics||Arthur Ashkin (USA), Gerard Mourou (France)|
and Donna Strickland (Canada)
|“for groundbreaking inventions in the field of laser physics”|
|3.||Chemistry||(a) one half to Frances H. Arnold (USA)|
(b) other half jointly to George P. Smith (USA) and Sir Gregory P. Winter (UK)
|(a) “for the directed evolution of enzymes”|
(b) “for the phage display of peptides and antibodies”
|4.||Peace||Denis Mukwege (Congo) and Nadia Murad (Iraq)||“for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict”|
|5.||Economic Sciences||(a) William D. Nordhaus (USA)|
(b) Paul M. Romer (USA)
|(a) “for integrating climate change into long-run macroeconomic analysis”|
(b) “for integrating technological innovations into
long-run macroeconomic analysis.”
Note- This year Nobel Prize in Literature has been cancelled.
Nobel Prize 2017 Winners List
|1.||Physiology or Medicine||for the discoveries of molecular mechanisms controlling the circadian rhythm||Jeffrey C. Hall (USA), Michael Rosbash (USA) and Michael W. Young (USA)|
|2.||Physics||for decisive contributions to the LIGO detector and the observation of gravitational waves||Rainer Weiss (Germany), Barry C. Barish (USA) and Kip S. Thorne (USA)|
|3.||Chemistry||for developing cryo-electron microscopy for the high-resolution structure determination of biomolecules in solution||Jacques Dubochet (Switzerland), Joachim Frank (Germany) and Richard Henderson (Scotland)|
|4.||Literature||in novels of great emotional force, has uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world||Kazuo Ishiguro (Japan)|
|5.||Peace||for its work to draw attention to the catastrophic humanitarian consequences of any use of nuclear weapons and for its ground-breaking efforts to achieve a treaty-based prohibition of such weapons||International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) (founded in Australia)|
|6.||Economic Sciences||for contributions to behavioural economics||Richard H. Thaler (USA)|
Interesting Facts about the Nobel Prize:
The Nobel Prize in Physics-
- The Nobel Prize in Physics is awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 111 Nobel Prizes in Physics have been awarded between 1901-2017.
- 2 women have been awarded the Physics Prize so far.
- 25 years was the age of the youngest Physics Laureate ever, Lawrence Bragg, when he was awarded the 1915 Physics Prize together with his father.
The Nobel Prize in Chemistry-
- The Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 109 Nobel Prizes in Chemistry have been awarded between 1901 and 2017.
- 4 women have been awarded the Chemistry Prize so far.
- 1 person, Frederick Sanger, has been awarded the Chemistry Prize twice, in 1958 and in 1980.
- 35 years was the age of the youngest Chemistry Laureate ever, Frédéric Joliot, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1935.
- 85 years was the age of the oldest Chemistry Laureate, John B. Fenn, when he was awarded the Chemistry Prize in 2002.
The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine-
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine is awarded by the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 108 Nobel Prizes in Physiology or Medicine have been awarded between 1901 and 2017.
- 12 women have been awarded the Medicine Prize so far.
- 32 years was the age of the youngest Medicine Laureate ever, Frederick G. Banting, who was awarded the 1923 Medicine Prize for the discovery of insulin.
- 87 years was the age of the oldest Medicine Laureate ever, Peyton Rous, when he was awarded the Medicine Prize in 1966 for his discovery of tumour-inducing viruses.
The Nobel Prize in Literature-
- The Nobel Prize in Literature is awarded by the Swedish Academy, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 110 Nobel Prizes in Literature have been awarded 1901-2017.
- 14 women have been awarded the Literature Prize so far.
- 41 years was the age of the youngest Literature Laureate ever, Rudyard Kipling, best known for The Jungle Book.
- 88 years was the age of the oldest Literature Laureate ever, Doris Lessing, when she was awarded the Prize in 2007.
The Nobel Peace Prize-
- The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by a committee of five persons who are chosen by the Norwegian Storting (Parliament of Norway).
- 98 Nobel Peace Prizes have been awarded 1901-2017.
- 16 women have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize so far.
- 1 Peace Prize Laureate, Le Duc Tho, has declined the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Malala Yousafzai (17) is the youngest to win Nobel Peace Prize in 2014.
The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel-
- The Prize in Economic Sciences is awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 49 Prizes in Economic Sciences have been awarded since 1969.
- 1 woman has been awarded the Prize in Economic Sciences so far, Elinor Ostrom, in 2009.
- 51 years was the age of the youngest Laureate in Economic Sciences ever, Kenneth J. Arrow, who was awarded in 1972.
- 90 years was Leonid Hurwicz when he was awarded the Prize – the oldest Laureate in Economic Sciences ever.
Following are 5 Indian citizens who won Nobel Prize.
Rabindranath Tagore 1913 (Literature)
C.V. Raman 1930 (Physics)
Mother Teresa 1979 (Peace)
Amartya Sen 1998 (Economic Studies)
Kailash Satyarthi 2014 (Peace)
Nobel Prize 2018 Winners List⇓⇓⇓⇓
See Also: LATEST JOBS 2018
See Also: PREVIOUS YEAR PAPERS
See Also: EXAM UPDATES & STUDY MATERIALS
See Also: STATIC GK PDF NOTES
See Also: CURRENT AFFAIRS PDF MAGAZINES